Friday, September 24, 2010

TV Channels

My freshmen year at Babson College, I went to live with my sister in Boston, since she was already a junior in college my parents wanted me to stay together. She taught me a lot about college life and I remember when we were moving our stuff to our apartment she insisted that we had to go get the TV. For me at that moment the TV’s were not very important in my life, I prefer to do more outdoor activities than staying home watching a TV series or a movie. After two days of moving in we went to buy our TV and I noticed how she loved to watch TV. Little by little I started to join her. And this year I have noticed that sometimes when I came home from school I turn on the TV even if I am not watching it.

Sometimes I have seen on movies and on real life how people start a conversation and one of the guys says something very interesting and makes him look smart. But later someone asks them where did you learn that, in class? And he answers animal planet. This makes me realize how TV has affected me and other people in the way they learn things. Some people go to class everyday of the week and do not pay any attention but just by staying 10 mins watching TV they learn cool facts that can impress any person.

6 comments:

  1. formoso, i agree with you in a way, because i love to watch tv. however, dont you think that sometimes people learn things they shouldnt learn. i think that tv opens your mind to bigger ideas and sometimes it is fake information that we recieve from movies or tv series. however in the end, if you watch the right stuff you do learn a lot from this idea of television.

    salo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jose,
    It's an interesting fact that you are making, are you trying to say that instead of going to class we should just spend 10 minutes of our day watching TV? I definitely don't oppose that by too much. But to an extent I still believe that going to classes teach you quite a bit of stuff. So what changed? why did you start joining your sister? How has this affected you? and would things have been different if you didn't stay with your sister?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you really learning? I think learning is not just remembering facts and figures. Is it really accurate to say that all tv is educational? Most tv isn't even realistic or accurately portrayed? Many points of view are exaggerated and inaccurate. Perhaps he just got lucky on Animal Planet. It's proven that our brains are less active during television watching than other daily activities. I don't think your conclusion is a safe one to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you raise a valid point there but maybe with the wrong intentions. These television channels are more for entertainment rather than education, though these channels seem like they are educational, they are more like fun facts rather than things you need to learn through an educational stream. Though these educational channels may be able to enrich your knowledge of random trivia, (that people remember better than things they are supposed to learn for some reason) that is simply the purpose, it is not to take the place of a proper educational environment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that television is a fantastic way to learn things that otherwise one may not encounter. Television, similar to newspapers and magazines, offers a way to stay informed on current events and does it in a way that is visually stimulating. This visual stimulation is a concept that is very popular in our society, which may be why more people are drawn to television than say newspapers. To say that one is not learning when he/she is watching television, I find completely wrong. We, as humans, learn from experience. Any television experience is providing us with knowledge in a specific area whether it be fact or fiction. This knowledge is in the end there for the entertainment of those viewing the program. Just because one is watching a program does not mean he/she believes everything that is on the television screen is fact.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is your argument that--the more TV you watch, the smarter you become? This seems to be opposite to what critics usually said about TV... Make your point thoroughly, don't stop halfway.

    It's good that you started your analysis w/ personal experiences, but make sure that you do not get lost in accounting details that are irrelavant to the thesis (like living w/ your sister, your parents want you to be together, etc). In the next post, you should strive to pick a narrower topic (TV is too large of a medium to be covered in a few hundred words) and try to make one original argument with some depth. Learn to write engagingly means you constantly have to look at your own essay from the readers' perspective--the reader is going to ask: what's so interesting to read here? Why would I spend my time reading something that's irrelvant to me?

    b.c.d.e.

    ReplyDelete