Sunday, November 7, 2010

Barnes and Noble vs iPad



At the beginning of the semester when I saw the article showing that The Barnes and Noble Book store was put for sale I did not understand. I thought it was unreasonable for the owners to sell one of the biggest bookstore chains in world. Barnes and Noble have over 720 stores in the United States.  Now after reading and analyzing the impact the iPad has on book I understand their dramatic decision. The effect that the IPad/technology plays on bookstores might not be the only reason why the owners of Barnes and Noble are trying to sell it but a big factor of their decision.  On the article Publish or Perish, that we have to read in class, tells us many times how books are becoming less popular. Two quotes that I found powerful on the article where: “It doesn’t matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don’t read anymore”. And “Forty per cent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year”.  We know that by having the newest technology to play around makes every individual cool but what I see from this article now is that it also makes us dumb.  Because of the iPad and other similar technologies not only people are stopping to read but it is also making some chain stores like Barnes and noble go out of business. If Barnes and Noble goes out of business it can hurt the economy. That is why my question I have is if the iPad and other similar technologies are helping or affecting the society.

Below you can see the two articles that I used:
Ipad
Barnes and Nobles



No comments:

Post a Comment